Monday, April 15, 2019

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

     Isn't that the theme of all those cheesy after show specials that talk about landfills and show you videos of really dirty beaches?

     Growing up my family never really paid much attention to recycling or how much we wasted, except for the effects on our budget.  We drank can soda and water bottles, ate snacks from individual packs, did not recycle, and honestly could have built a second home from discarded plastic bags.  So it didn't register much about my impact.

    And I wish I could say that I was the outcast and cared about seat turtles.. but that isn't the case.  I just didn't think about it until probably my mid-twenties.  I recycled because the home I was renting had recycling and I knew enough to not be that jerk.  Then after moving in with my now husband and I stated that we needed trash bags he replied that we made a lot of garbage.

    So I started thinking about how much waste we really do create.  And how does that affect the environment and my wallet?  How can I be better? So we are no saints of sea creatures (yet), but we do try and have found new ways to save both cash and the environment.

Bee's Wax Over Plastic Wrap
I just grabbed these off the shelf because I hate plastic wrap.  And honestly, they work, look a little cuter, and even take up less space than the box of plastic wrap.  Win.

Reusable sandwich/snack bags.
So I bought this set from Amazon.  I just purchased one after I realized how many zip locks we use.  We do have to wash them and let them dry, but honestly, one set is more than enough for just Husband and I.  If you have kiddos or frequently pack a lot of snacks might want to grab a second set.

Reusable Shopping Bags
Literally the easiest and simplest trick of them all.  I keep a stash in my car and the hall closet.  Most of ours were just freebies from the Auto Show or other events.  They add up! I bring these whenever I shop.  And most places give you a small discount for bringing your own bag! We do occasionally take the plastic bags if we forget to bring ours in.  We try to reuse them for cat litter, packing away seasonal decor, or just bring them to our local grocery store and put them in the recycling bin there.

E-bills.
Pretty much everything we pay is online and gives the option of e-billing.  This cuts down on the amount of paper mailed to our home each month. Plus its never just the bill. But three sheets explaining the bill, general information, maybe a return envelope.  That is a lot of paper! At tax time we just log onto our account and they have a payment summary sheet for the year we print in and give to our accountant.  1 page over 500!

No plastic straws.
I love straws.  I must drink everything with a lid and straw.  But ever since I saw the poor little sea turtle with a straw up his nose I have passed.  I bought these metal straws for home use and this stash of paper straws to keep in my car for when I go places.

No paper plates
We do not use paper plates (in fact, I have never bought any). We also don't use disposable cups or napkins.  We do use paper towels in place of napkins, which I want to get better about.  But we use dish towels and rags in place of almost all paper towel needs.  Which includes spills, cleaning, and wiping off counters.

     So nothing crazy over here.  Unfortunately, our apartment complex doesn't recycle so that isn't an option.  And with no lawn means no compost.  But I can dream, right? What else can I do? What do you do to help save money and sea turtles?!

No comments:

Post a Comment